Wednesday, May 26, 2010

THIN.

For my birthday, my brother and Zach got me 3 months of Netflix (and I'm LOVING it). Anyway, taking a break from scripted entertainment, I queued a documentary titled "Thin." It's an inside look at an eating disorder treatment center and the focus was on Anorexia/Bulemia. It's an issue/disease that is close to my heart. My adolescent psychology term paper (back when I was working on my Master's in Christian Counseling) was about eating disorders. I get really passionate about it too--which becomes very evident when someone tries to tell me that either 1)it doesn't matter, so they are a little thin, or 2)It's not a disease, it's just a selfish decision. First of all, "it doesn't matter"? Up to 24 million men and women suffer from an eating disorder. Only 10% obtain treatment. 1 in 7 of them will die because of it. THAT doesn't matter? And secondly, not a disease? It IS. It is a psychological disease. Someone who is 80 pounds and yet sees nothing but obesity when they look at themselves is a disease. Do they make the choice to not eat or to purge? Yes. BUT they feel they have no choice. They see fat. They see "pig." Their brain won't let them see themselves for what they really are. Towards the end of the documentary, a 15 year old girl, who is 80-some pounds, is sobbing and just keeps repeating "I just want to be thin. I just want to be thin." She is literally dying from starvation, but can't recognize it. Even when they do recognize it, the disease as overtaken their lives so much that they have to fight minute by minute to try to get healthy. Of that 10% that receive treatment? 50% of them relapse after being released. Which leads me to wonder how successful can eating disorder centers be? Taking them out of life and putting them (usually women) into a controlled environment only to just send them out into the real world to fend for themselves (sure there are after program outpatient services, but they are optional and often not utilized because insurance ran out halfway through treatment). Though I'd have to do major research before coming to an actual conclusion about treatment centers.

There was my venting. It's been bottled up since I saw the documentary last night. Really though, you need to see it. Too many people don't realize they know someone with an eating disorder...or if they do, they don't understand it (like the tattoo artist in the documentary that i want to go find and smack around who falls into the "so what" category I hate). Right, so Documentary. Thin. Watch it. Netflix has it.

No comments:

Post a Comment