Thursday, July 8, 2010

Toast 101

I finally figured out how to make edible toast! I don't have a toaster, just a toaster oven and the process of making toast in a toaster oven is very convoluted...or maybe I'm just a cooking 101 reject (which is highly possible). First of all, toaster ovens have 3 dials (at least mine does)--the top has the degrees to bake at, the second is the type of baking you will be doing (bake, toast, etc), and then the timer. If you are toasting, do you have to set the degree dial? I set it at 500 because I just don't know what to do. Then I put the slice of bread in and time it. When I say I time it, I just twist the timer dial to whatever notch it stops at and go. I'll check it periodically and at some point flip it over to toast the other side. This is the hard part. For an entire package of bread, I burned to a crisp every single slice except for the very last one this morning. I guess I just have to check it more carefully. The trick is that you can't toast the bottom as long as the top...? I don't even use the toaster oven for anything but toast. If I'm baking something, regardless of size, I prefer the real oven. Yes, I'm 25 years old.

I think I'm going to get a real toaster...even though I jump every time it kicks the toast up at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment