Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Eat Pray Love

I haven't seen the movie yet. If there is a movie made from a book, I have to read the book before I'll see the movie. I'm almost done with the book--I'm about 1/3 of the way through Indonesia (last section). One part in the India section of the book that caught my eye (pretty much the only one since it was difficult getting through the hindu stuff), was when Texas Richard tells "groceries" (as he calls the author) about what a soul mate is. I loved it. And now here it is:

"A true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you
everything that’s holding you back, the person who brings you to your own
attention so you can change your life. A true soul mate is probably the most
important person you’ll ever meet, because they tear down your walls and
smack you awake. But to live with a soul mate forever. Nah. Too painful.
Soul mates, they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself
to you, and then they leave. And thank God for it."

I really like this thought. It's putting "soul mate" on the same playing field as "kindred spirit" (see Anne of Green Gables), rather than at the level of spouse or partner. It takes the pressure off the often heavily-weighted, scary, commitment-phobic nightmarish thought of soul mate

I know that I've had relationships of one kind or another (often strange and undefined) with a "soul mate"--but they definitely aren't guys I could spend my life with. And that makes me feel a lot better about it all, and makes me feel like I'm not really that big of a marriage-phobe. I'm not a commitment phobe--until it gets to the point of marriage then I freak out a little bit. Maybe that's good though. I'm not overly, or remotely, obsessed with the idea of a wedding and marriage so maybe I have a better chance of finding the right man for the right reasons and when I do, the idea of marriage won't freak me out at all. Marriage is for life (at least it's supposed to be) and I'm only 25...the more time I wait, the less time I have to spend with a husband (lol just kidding!). I realized with my cousin's kids that I'm not willing to give up my life for kids right now...and if you're not ready for kids, you shouldn't marry (you never know when that pill won't work...I know someone who used 3 kinds of contraceptives at once and still got pregnant).

Ok, I'm done rambling. I just really like that quote...and maybe people will stop telling me I need to not be so picky with what I want in a man. I've seen enough in my lifetime to know you HAVE to be picky. While a goal is to be married and happy, it's better to be single and happy then married and miserable.

Ok now I'm really done.

No comments:

Post a Comment