Tuesday, August 17, 2010

OMG

So I've put off the "measurements" part of TL 9000 as long as possible. Now, to most human beings, measurements involve math. numbers. But our techs don't do anything that requires measuring (as I know measuring to be). I keep yelling at things "we just install cable...what the heck would you like us to measure??? how much line of cable we use everyday??" Luckily (or so I thought) my handbook has a glossary, which normally help people out.

My TL 9000 Handbook--for measurements, defines measurements as such:
"Term used to replace the term 'metrics'. Companies collect measurement data."

Huh...THAT'S helpful.

I have a Telecom Dictionary, so I look up measurements (doesn't exist), and then look up "metrics" because maybe that will be helpful. The definition in the telecom dictionary for 'metrics' is:
"Fancy word for 'measurements'"

I'm not kidding.

I've now come to realize that "measurements" is the ratio of # of screw-ups we have each month to # of jobs performed. This, however, is something I had to deduce from a 100 page manual...they don't actually say that's what measurements are, but that's it...just a simple ratio. So I say this to the people charging $$$ for these stupid books and certifications: I summed it all up in 1 sentence. There is no need to make things so much more difficult than they need to be. Especially for people who are horrible with techy stuff and terminology...I don't even know why a GB is bigger than an MB, I just know that it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment