Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Big Announcement!!!

The first part of the announcement you probably already know, but I am going to be running the Disney Princess Half-Marathon at Disney World February 27, 2010. Here is a video of the event:




The second part of the announcement is that I decided to run the half-marathon for a purpose. Choosing the charity was not an easy decision--I had a lot of options which came down to Red Dress Campaign (American Heart Association), BCAN (Bladder Cancer Advocacy Network), TWLOHA (To Write Love on Her Arms), ANAD (National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders), and ASPCA (animal shelters). Given the horrifying amount of recent teen suicides and the rapidly rising amount of teens and young adults suffering from depression (and the effects--substance abuse, eating disorders, cutting, etc), I decided to run for TWLOHA.

What is TWLOHA? It' To Write Love on Her Arms. To Write Love on Her Arms is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery. Here's the story:



I am dedicating my run to a friend who benefited from TWLOHA. But dedication in words is not enough. I've set up a donation page at Crowd Rise in which friends and family--and even strangers reading this blog--can donate to TWLOHA through my page. Knowing that I'm raising awareness and money for this cause will encourage me to push through and run like I've never run before (and not just cuz I'll be wearing a gold tutu).

The URL where you can donate (please) is: http://www.crowdrise.com/runfortwloha1/

Does TWLOHA work, help, etc? Well, if you have time, here's Renee--the girl the story is about at 3 years sobriety:



Please take the time to go to my Crowd Rise Page and donate! My goal is at least $2,000! All donations will go directly to TWLOHA. Again, the page is: http://www.crowdrise.com/runfortwloha1

Thank YOU!

And...if the half-marathon looks fun to you, go ahead and register--as of 10/8/10, it was only 50% full. There's still time! (http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/princess-half-marathon/)

No comments:

Post a Comment