Thursday, December 2, 2010

FIFA is Annoying.

I love soccer/football/whatever you would like to call it. I've been on cloud nine soccer-wise ever since my team, West Ham Utd, utterly destroyed Manchester Utd in the race for the Carling Cup. Now, if you don't follow the Premier League, you don't know that West Ham is dead last in the standings whereas Man U is number one...and until the other day they were undefeated. My Hammers ripped that undefeated rug right out from under those horrendous red devils--what is that name anyway? I shall call them mannies (like male nannies). West Ham is just one game away from the finals...and should they beat Birmingham and go to the finals, they will most likely play Arsenal which would be great fun. With the exception of just one soccer-loving friend, all are Arsenal lovers so an Arsenal/Hammer final would take me back to jersey in maroon and blue.

Today however, has somewhat poked a hole in my ninth-level cloud as FIFA has announced the bid-winners of the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. 2018 was pretty much between England and Russia. Well, let's just say, Wills looked pretty sad and I smell a Russian bribe (they did it at the Olympics, I'm sure they'd do it again...once a cheater, always a cheater). 2022 was between USA, Australia, Qatar, South Korea, and I'm missing 1 or 2. I was definitely not expecting the US to win the bid, we just had it in 1994. I was hoping for an Australian win (I would totally go). After the last week or so, everyone pretty much knew South Korea was out since who knows now if South Korea will even exist in 12 years. So that leaves...Qatar. yeah...that's the tiny country (half the size of Kuwait) connected to Saudi Arabia and just a short boat trip across the Persian Gulf from Iran. Qatar is also friendly with Iran and accepting of Lebanese Hezbollah. However, they are also friendly with America and Britain. Saudi Arabia hates Iran though so I don't think safety is a huge issue...unless stampedes of millions of people is factored in...and the whole summer temperature of 120 degrees Fahrenheit. It's just such a teeny-tiny country with possibly fatal temperatures...with no infrastructure for something on the scale of the World Cup. Granted, they have 12 years and a lot of money to build that infrastructure, but that many people in that little of a space is not going to be fun. I think the 2022 World Cup decision is going to be the one that finally backfires on FIFA...but I could be wrong...it is many many years away. Anything can happen in 12 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment