Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year!!

Happy New Year!

I know this is technically a few days late, but I’ve been sick and unable to process things well in my mind…not to mention even without the sickness, my mind has been a tangled mess. Now I am able to think somewhat more clearly. I hope.
There are a couple of things that people think of when they hear/see the phrase “Happy New Year”: 1) kiss at midnight, and 2) resolutions. I’m going to skip the whole kiss at midnight thing because that depresses me. I never have someone to kiss at midnight on New Year’s. Which leaves…RESOLUTIONS! Most people have made a New Year’s resolution at least once in their lives. Usually it’s lose weight, get in shape, be nicer, go to the gym everyday, be more selfless, etc. etc. etc.

So what resolutions have I made for 2011?

Let me start by informing you that I just cancelled my gym membership. Which is generally the opposite of what most people do but I viewed it as a waste of money. First, I run outside because I do not run on treadmills as I despise them. I can run a lot farther out on the road than on a treadmill. Try it sometime. Second, P90X/Insanity and Cardio Barre (The Bar Method, Pure Barre, Fluidity Bar) work a lot better at sculpting your body than the weight machines at the gym—and they are much more enjoyable. Well, okay so P90X and Insanity are not really enjoyable but still more so than weight machines.

I’m going to eat more healthy—avoid processed foods as much as possible, limit my carbonated drink intake to seltzer and Perrier, eat more salad (non-iceberg), eat less meat, drink more water, drink less coffee (I’m being more realistic—still drinking coffee, just less of it), drink more tea (but not sweet tea).

Be a better image of God. I have a (tiny) tattoo on my wrist that says “Imago Dei” which is Latin for ‘Image of God.’ Since I’ve moved to Atlanta, I’ve become more and more materialistic…and I know that it directly correlates to having money to spend. At some point I got it into my head that I NEEDED Jimmy Choos and Louboutins and Louis Vuitton and Gucci and Prada and the list goes on. I’ve realized that the fact that I have actually WANTED to spend hundreds of dollars on one pair of shoes or a handbag is a problem. When I see shoes for $195 and think “oh that’s cheap!”…I’ve crossed a line somewhere. I’ve been addicted to harmful things in the past, but I truly believe the addiction that is most detrimental to my life is shopping. And I’m changing that. I changed it before, but then I ended up getting a paycheck that allowed me to shop. But just because I CAN shop, doesn’t mean I should…and it definitely doesn’t mean I should spend hundreds of dollars on a pair of shoes. I am going to start being a good steward of my money—save it because in this economy, you never know when you may need it and I’m too old to count on falling back on my parents (even though I know they’d help). I hate living in an apartment so I need to put money aside for a down payment on a house one day. I need to give money to those that need it way more than I need another umpteenth pair of black heels. I’m going to be going through ALL of my stuff and throwing out or donating a lot of it. I hold on to so much stuff that I haven’t even used in years. I have clothes I wore in 9th grade (don’t worry, the Old Navy Performance Fleeces are long gone) that I’ve held onto “just in case.” I think it will be excellent therapy to sit down/stand up/bend over/squat and get rid of all the miscellaneous stuff and the clothes, and even the shoes that have laid dormant over the months and years. I am actually really looking forward to it too. If I'm going to try to live better and live up to what my tattoo implies, I have to be more selfless and a heck of lot less materialistic. God doesn't wear Prada and I don't think he would. I kind of think He would rather go barefoot. While I won't go barefoot (except at the beach), I will try not to worry about what label is on my shoes/clothes.

So what are YOUR resolutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment