Tuesday, March 8, 2011

And they say Charlie Sheen is crazy??

Ok, so he definitely does seem crazy (brought on by drug and alcohol abuse--let's please stop labeling everything bipolar). But I'd venture to say that there's a GA state representative who is more crazy.

There's a new bill on the block that Georgia State Rep. Bobby Franklin—who last year proposed making rape and domestic violence "victims" into "accusers"—has introduced that would criminalize miscarriages and make abortion in Georgia completely illegal. Both miscarriages and abortions would be potentially punishable by death: any "prenatal murder" in the words of the bill, including "human involvement" in a miscarriage, would be a felony and carry a penalty of life in prison or death.Under Rep. Franklin's bill, HB 1, women who miscarry could become felons if they cannot prove that there was "no human involvement whatsoever in the causation" of their miscarriage. There is no clarification of what "human involvement" means.

I'm not going to address the abortion part of the bill because I'd rather not start some massive political debate that causes me way too much anxiety. However, I am most certainly going to address the outrageousness of the miscarriage portion.

Knowing the way some super far far far right republicans behave, human involvement in a miscarriage could mean the woman's shoe came untied and she tripped and fell on her stomach. There is NO known cause of miscarriages (outside of accidents), and it is a horribly traumatic experience for a woman to go through. Many already think they're to blame for losing their baby, but now this guy wants to make her prove it wasn't her fault and if she can't, she'll be put to death? SERIOUSLY??

I'm not a conservative republican or a liberal democrat. I'm pretty much smack dab in the middle. Maybe a conservative democrat & a liberal republican. I refuse to vote party lines--and this guy is a prime example of why.

Luckily, there is no way this bill would ever pass, but still...the thought that there are people who actually would consider ANY penalty at all for a VICTIM of a miscarriage is sickening to me.

And I'm stepping off my soapbox now.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you! I heard this on the news last week and was stunned that it even got to the point of where it would be reported on!

    I consider myself pretty middle of the road too (maybe a little more on the liberal side) but it drives me nuts the wackos on both ends of the spectrum - its absurd and annoying that the extremes are the "labels" for both democrats and republicans

    ReplyDelete