Wednesday, March 9, 2011

GPOYW: The good ole gap year...and a half.

Lately I've been seriously missing the year or so when I'd graduated from college but had no job and basically traveled around, doing whatever I pleased.

It was glorious.

Money was a problem, but honestly, I felt free so I didn't really care about the money.

Freedom is everything.

Probably part of the reason relationships scare me.

I feel like they would take away some of whatever freedom I have left.

Anyway, it was during that time that I attempted to move to Spain.

I say 'attempted' because I didn't make it for very long.

There are reasons. Many of them.

Not being able to speak spanish very well was only a tiny part of it.

But the traveling. The freedom.

I loved that.

I still do.

I crave it.

I'm not the least bit fond of being tied down to a desk in one place, 8-5, 5 days a week.

But everyone has to grow up sometime I guess...

So, I relive through pictures. And vicariously through google images. And vacation options with Jetsetter and the like.

Here's a picture of me and two friends who came to Seville, Spain to visit me:



Rachel I met sophomore year of high school when I transfered to Plumstead. Allison, who was living and still lives, in Madrid, I've known since we were 7. You might say we were frenemies up until high school. haha but now were good friends.

If only I was a lucky person who won things...then I'd play the lottery, win and be able to travel the world, doing whatever I want. Pursuing things I can only dream about because I have to sit at work 90% of the week in order to pay rent to live in a state I don't want to live in. Well, it's true, I don't. I'm pretty sure anyone who knows me has figured that little tidbit out by now.

But I won't give up hope. One day I'll have my wildest dreams come true. ...probably minus the Johnny Depp part of the dreams.

And in the meantime, I relearn French. And Italian. And Portuguese. And Spanish. And German. But I'll just start with the relearning of French...and spanish too I guess, but French is actually more necessary (and desired).

I apologize if I came across emo-y at all during this post. I just really miss 'feeling the wind in my sails' so-to-speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment