Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Greek Yumminess

Growing up I pretty much NEVER ate yogurt. Neither my mom nor I liked it, so it was never in the house.

I found within the last few years that I could manage to get down some flavored yogurts, but still wasn't a big fan.

Which is why some find it extremely odd then that I now LOVE Greek yogurt.

This is a fairly recent discovery...just in the past 6 months or so.

I generally have just bought the vat of plain, nonfat greek yogurt and added my own fresh fruit to it, but that's a little difficult to deal with on weekdays. I don't actually own any tupperware to put my mixture into to take to work and cutting up fruit every morning takes too much time.

So, I bought Chobani's individual serving size yogurts to bring to work for lunch. They are still non-fat, and low-calorie (especially considering it is plenty filling enough to serve as your entire lunch). And they have real chunks of fruit in the bottom instead of just flavoring. And, it's healthier than regular yogurt.



This is Chobani greek yogurt facts:
· All natural. No preservatives. No artificial flavors.
· Free of synthetic growth hormones. (Milk from cows not treated with rBST)
· Includes 5 live & active cultures, including 3 probiotics.
· Made with real fruit.
· Twice the protein of regular yogurts.
· A good source of bone-building calcium.
· Gluten-Free and Kosher-Certified.
· Safe for people with corn, nut and soy allergies.

By the way, the difference between Greek yogurt and American-style yogurt (like yoplait) is that Greek yogurt is strained to remove the liquid whey, hence its thicker consistency. It's in this process that there is a higher amount of protein in Greek yogurt.

Oh and a fun healthy dessert to eat with plain greek yogurt?

Cut an apple into 1/2 centimeter thick slices, throw into a mixing bowl with sugar-substitute (I prefer Truvia) and cinnamon and oats (at most 1/8 cup for 2 apples) and just enough lemon juice to help make the cinnamon/sweetener/oats stick to the apple slices. Transfer coated apples to an appropriately sized baking dish (1 apple would work in an individual creme brulee sized dish) and Bake at 350 for about 10-15ish minutes (time may be more if you're making a lot of servings). Then add a dollop of greek yogurt on top and go to town. It's AMAZING. The greek yogurt makes the combination of tastes perfect so it's like a party in your mouth. And a healthy one, too.

I also peel the apples...because I hate apple skin...just fyi.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE chobani. so good. i am like you - it took me a while to get on the yogurt train. it used to make me gag. now i'm embarrassed to admit how much of it i eat.

    my favorite chobani is the pineapple.
    second favorite? peach. just bought 7 at target (cheapest) because that was the only flavor they had. it works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubs just tried the pineapple Chobani and said it is his favorite one so far! I like the apple dessert...gotta try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with chobani - I actually JUST had a peach this morning for breakfast - I'm definitely going to be trying your apple dessert recipe. It sounds perfect and light for summertime :)

    ReplyDelete