Monday, May 2, 2011

Hasta la Vista Bin Laden

This morning as I laid half-dead on the floor (thank you Insanity), I flipped on the news.

That's when I heard a news lady say "After we come back, I'll tell you why Osama Bin Laden is no longer a threat."

I thought, "huh? oh great, so now Obama is just going to pretend the guy's not a problem..."

Then the news came back and I found out that Bin Laden had actually been killed.

(sorry Barry)

I'll admit, my first thought was along the lines of a conspiracy theory of him not really being dead...

I should never have watched that Conspiracy theory documentary.

But he's dead (though the DNA results won't be out for a couple days)

It's weird.

Kinda numbing.

Now what?

He may be dead, but let's face it, this fight is far from over.

Celebration and Triumph is fine--for a bit.

But I can't help but think, the worst is yet to come.

We have to keep our wits about us.

Our security is still in just as much danger--probably more danger in the near future.

But as someone who lived 9/11 up close, as someone who's father could have died that day...I honestly have no idea how I feel.

Relieved, Numb, Thoughtful, and both Optimistic and Pessimistic.

Relieved to have some justice.

Numb to it all.

Thoughtful of the past, present and future.

Optimistic of a unified country. I saw the rallies in the streets--unity in triumph. Maybe we can hold onto that for awhile and stop with the incessant, whiney, bickering between parties. Unity to work to get this country out of debt and recession.

Pessimistic of reality. It's not over, and may never be over in my lifetime. How much longer do our troops have to be overseas?

No comments:

Post a Comment